Wednesday, January 27, 2010

the First from Leslie

Hi everyone! Welcome to my blog! Check in as you will to find out the latest from me as I walk this walk that God has called me to and that only He can see me through! I appreciate everyone's prayers as they are definitely needed and felt! Since I am starting this blog months into the story, I will do sort of a "Lost" theme of flashbacks to fill in the gaps. Be assured that while it hopefully won't be as confusing as "Lost", it's doubtful that it will be as exciting either!

So I start with an incredible story. The real reason that I decided to do a blog. I was resistant at first to the idea but then I met a couple of courageous, inspirational people in treatment and was once again reminded of the faces of cancer (I know, how could I forget with my involvement with The Lighthouse Family Retreat!) So I decided that maybe I did have something to say...

Her name is Danielle and she is 32 years old. I saw her just today but met her in early January when I began my first treatment. Richard and I had noticed her there each day and we were wondering "what her story is". One day she had a t-shirt on that said something like "Kicking Cancer's _ _ _!" Anyway, Presley, one of the nurses, and a friend of Trisha McWilliams, introduces us. She asks me what I am there for and when I tell her she says, me too! She says excitedly "There aren't many of us. We have what everyone wants to have!" I think, well maybe just these people here in this treatment room!

Anyway, come to find out that back in September, when she was 5 months pregnant, she was having shortness of breath and tightness in her chest. Her doctor blew it off as part of her pregnancy but her midwife suggested that she see a cardiologist. After some other tests, they did a chest xray that revealed a huge mass in her chest. She was diagnosed with an aggressive form of non hodgkin's lymphoma. She was immediately admitted to Northside Hospital where my doctor, Dr. Colleen Austin, was on call. She began CHOP the next day. Yes, 5 months pregnant! CHOP is three chemo drugs plus predisone and its ugly! She underwent 4 rounds and then was given a month off to have the baby. So, her baby girl is now 5 weeks and doing great! Praise the Lord! Now she is back in treatment with another even uglier regime call RICE which is Rituxan plus ICE (not sure what it is but its tougher than CHOP!) But Danielle is doing great, such a great attitude, always smiling, even though I know she has been through so, so much! The amazing thing is her baby is doing great! A reminder that God's timing is like no other! Diagnosed any earlier, she probably would have lost the baby. But she was able to have serious, toxic treatments that ultimately do not appear to have hurt her baby! Oh, the miraculous design of our bodies by our Creator, the author of life! So Danielle is my inspiration and such a blessing! Please pray for her and her family as God leads you to. More to come...and thanks for tuning in...

5 comments:

  1. Great entry! Will keep checking in - and will call too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie,

    What a powerful message you wrote. Oh how I know to well what those drugs are. Chayton did the (ICE) at Duke for his Stem Cell and I know how toxic it is but he is here today and healthy. Praise God!!! I know God will get you through those tough days and just know you have so many people who love you and are praying so hard for your healing. I am so thankful that you have met someone on your journey. I know when Chayton was first diagnosed that is what I wanted was to meet moms in the same situation as me and to also meet survivors. It gave me so much hope and to know I could get through this if all these other people were. If there is anything I can do to help out please let me know. Hugs and Kisses, Trisha Williamson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie-
    I am so thankful and blessed you have decided to write this blog. I look forward to more entries of how God is working in your life and those around you! I love you and I am honored to walk with you during this time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie:)
    So glad you posted Danielle's story, when you talked about her last week I was hoping you would keep me up to date on her story!!
    Remember I am walking with you and am so glad you are sharing your journey with everyone by blogging!!!
    Hugs and Kisses!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to post this 4 times if somehow they all come through but anyway...I am so glad to have a way to check in on you and am praying for you. Please post any needs you have because I would love to know how I can help and am sure so many other would too.

    Love,
    Susan Johnston Hamrick

    ReplyDelete